Friday, May 8, 2009




Hi my name is Joe Pegler, I am a college student in Cork, Ireland and am a part time-poker player. As of the start of the UCC term I attempted looking for a job around Cork city. I handed out maybe 20-30 CV's and did not receive one call back. I had money saved up from the summer so was not utterly desperate, but did need to start earning soon. I had been playing poker sporadically over the summer on pokerstars, but definitely not the stakes or the hours put in needed to make a regular profit. I decided to give a go at making a living off poker. If it didn't work out I could always get a student loan & start job searching again! My bankroll at that stage was very low ($40) So I used bankroll management to build my roll. I wouldn't buy in for more than 10% of my total bankroll, and if I ever had less than 10% I would drop down a level. I started playing the $3 turbos (6 at a time) and found the players there to be awful. That 40 was quickly ground up from 40 to $100 where I allowed myself to change from $3 turbos to $6 turbos. Players here were just as bad and it was in the space of a week I had that original $40 up to $170. This was all done playing 6 handed turbos.

Week 1 profit: $130

I was delighted with my first weeks profit as a 'pro' but these kind of results are not sustainable at this level. So I pushed my self to move up to the $11 non-turbos. These games are probably my strongest considering the slow format of the non turbos. I had a big edge over the field picking good spots to get my money in. I also found I could play more than 6 games at a time so got through maybe 9-10 in one sitting. I'm always very slow to move up stakes and believe in excessive bankrolling but with about $450 in my account I decided again to move up stakes to the $20 non turbos. Again I crushed these games and consistently got my money in good at this level too. Some of the play here is terrible and a lot of average players here will make a profit if they can fold a hand and play solid preflop. At this point profits shot up and I made I think about $1600 from playing both the $10 and $20 in week 2. Again I was delighted.

Week 3 hit and so did the variance. With roughly 2K in my account I again moved up stakes. It was at this point that I realised I could get through way more turbo games in one hour (despite only playing six at a time) than I could playing the non turbos, so to increase hourly profit I moved back to $25 turbos. I lost about $600 over 2 days and was looking at printing out my CV's again, when I came good. Everything kinda clicked into place and I caught some cards to turn this $600 deficit into a $100 profit that week. I was happy with the week despite the poor hourly rate because of some of the awful luck I had to put up with over the first two days.

Week 4 was one of my biggest weeks. I hit cards left right and center and quickly spun the $2100 in my account up to about 3.5K This was done playing the $25 turbos and then the $39 turbos. The players in these turbo games are definitely poorer than the $30 non turbos. Although I have noticed some other big profit players sitting along with me at these stakes.

Since then I changed to cash and multi table at the .10/.25 level for an hourly rate of about $30 an hour. I switched because I couldn't handle the variance of sngs, and my brother (http://finnianp.blogspot.com/) convinced me to change to cash. I currently do not have a big sample size at cash to determine which will be more profitable between the that or the $39s sngs, but with far more rakeback at cash and much less variance I can't see myself returning to sngs.

No comments:

Post a Comment